If you're behind in your mortgage payments, you may be worried about losing your home. Talk to your lender. If you can't - talk to MABS.
MABS, the Money Advice and Budgeting Service, was established by the Department of Social, Community and Family Affairs in 1992, and there are now over 50 offices nationwide.
MABS provides a free and confidential money management and advice service to everyone. Its main purpose is to assist people in dealing with their existing debt difficulties and to help them manage their finances.
(If you are finding it difficult to cope on your own, it is very important to get help - if you would like to speak to a member of staff within the Credit Union or to a M.A.B.S. representative, in confidence, please contact us for an appointment.)
Who can the service help?
If you have:
- Lost your job
- Become separated
- A low income
- Fallen behind in loan repayments
- Suffered a bereavement
...and find it difficult to make ends meet.
What does MABS do?
- Assists a client in devising a suitable budget plan
- Negotiates with creditors
- Gives advice and support to people with financial difficulties
- Works in partnership with the credit unions
- Provides ongoing support to people who successfully overcome their financial difficulties
- Talks can be organized for groups on money management, budgeting skills and other related issues
The Special Account Scheme is a bill paying service operated in partnership between you, your Money, Advice and Budgeting Service and Ballyconnell Credit Union.
A client opens a Special Account with their local credit union and lodges an agreed amount every week/month.
The money is distributed by MABS to various creditors on a monthly basis.
Advantages of the Special Account Scheme
- Service is free
- Local and convenient
- Introduction to savings
- User and Creditor orientated
- Introduction to low interest borrowing
- All creditors catered for
If you find yourself in debt
- Don't panic
- Do not ignore the problem; it will not go away
- Take immediate action
- Contact your local Money Advice and Budgeting Service
What you can expect from MABS
- A free service · A professional and efficient service
- To have your confidentiality respected
- To be listened to in a non-judgemental manner
- To act on your behalf and with your consent
- To have your options explained fully so that you can make your own decisions
- To keep you informed of progress